See What I'm Up To

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Marc Jacobs Inspired Phone Case DIY



I was scrolling through Pinterest the other day when I came across an adorable phone case. Not only am I a fan of Marc Jacobs, but I thought the idea of putting the iconic Daisy flower from the Daisy perfume on a phone case was just too cute to pass up. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact daisy flower as pictured but I found another option and my imagination just ran away with it. I guess the final result doesn't look much like the idea picture but that's the great thing about crafting...there is no right or wrong.

Materials:

  • Old phone case (Or you can purchase a plain white one)
  • White acrylic paint 
  • Decorative flowers 
  • Hot glue
  • Mod Podge and paint brush (optional)
  • Skewer
  • Rhinestones

My dad bought me this cow phone case a couple years back and the paint was starting to scratch off so I decided to repurpose it. Using Craft Smart Satin Acrylic Paint in White (Micheal's), I painted the phone case with four layers of paint. If you buy an already blank phone case, skip this step.  

Because I was painting over black it took a few more coats, granted these coats were very light.

While the phone case was drying, I arranged my flowers into an ombre sort of pattern. I accidentally threw away the packaging from these flowers but I got them at Michael's in the scrapbooking sections. (They came in a little plastic sleeve with a yellow and brown cardboard backing. Sorry! If I remember the brand I'll tell you). I bought two packs, both the yellow colored flowers came in one and all the white flowers came in another. 


You don't need to pre-arrange them but it does make it easier when it comes time to glue them down.

As you can see in the picture, the flowers have little beads as their centers. I replaced these at the end with little rhinestones but in retrospect I would have taken all the little beads off now, before you glue them down. If you do it after like I did, you'll end up having to re-glue some of the flowers back. (If you are adding rhinestones, DON'T put them on now, just take the beads off, that step comes later!)

Now it's time to glue the flowers to the dry phone case. Using a hot glue gun, I started gluing the flowers on one by one starting from the top by the camera hole and working my way down. Once they were all placed and glued, I put the SUPER thin line of glue around the edges of the phone case and glued any of the flowers that were hanging over the edge down. This makes the phone case less awkward to hold and also you won't crush the edges of some of the flowers.


All the flowers are glue down and the bead centers have been removed. If you like the look of the beads by all means leave them, but I liked the pearls on the Marc Jacobs case so I wanted to replicate that but with something a little more shiny. 

The rhinestones I used were also bought a while ago so I no longer have the packaging but there were also bought at Micheal's but in the jewelry making isle. They come on a little sticky sheet in a pack of 90 or something.

There are pretty tiny so make sure to keep and eye on them so they don't fall on the floor then get eaten by the vacuum cleaner the next day. (Whoops!)

Using either Mod Podge or hot glue, place a small dollop of one in the center of each flower (I used Mod Podge). I did this one at a time as to not misalign one. Using the pointy end of a skewer, press the rhinestone into the flower. (I hate getting Mod Podge on my fingers then getting them stuck to the rhinestone or flower so using a skewer really helps).



Allow ample drying time and you are done! I am so pleased with mine. I have owned a few phone cases but I never end up using them for more than a month but this one is just so cute I don't see myself separating from it any time soon!

I hope you have an awesome time making your own flower phone case and let me know how they turn out! Send me pictures to my email or leave them in the comments bellow and I'll look at all your wonderful crafts! 

-Miranda 









Know When I Post!




Share this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML